Polar Bear Experience 2017 & 2018
Oct 1st-6th 2017 is full!
2018 has 2 tours offered!!
Oct 3rd- Oct 8th 2018 (1 Space LEFT)
Oct 7th- 12th 2018 (FULL)
Spend 4 days living in the furthest reaches of Alaska! Learn about the culture, see how the people live so isolated from the rest of the civilization. But most of all, come and experience the realm of the polar bears. We only have 4 people at a time on this tour! (6 including 2 photo staff)
This tour is a bit different, as permits are required. Polar bear viewing is done mostly via boat, sometimes on land. You get 4 days of 6 hours a day out with the polar bears! There are only 6 of us on boat.
Due to Kaktovik's isolation, the village has maintained its Inupiat Eskimo traditions. Subsistence is highly dependent upon the hunting of caribou and whale. The bears know that the villagers will drag the whale carcass out to the bone pile, and that is where their feast will begin. After feasting, the polar bears head out on the icy fingers of islands, away from the mainland. And there they wait for the ice to freeze so they can hunt their favorite food, seal. That is where we head the boat out to. We go out in the early morning and in the mid to late afternoon. Since the bears can sometimes roam the village, no one is allowed outside late at night without supervision.
You will have a couple of hours during the day to go through your images before heading back out on the water. Please note: at no time are you allowed out with the bears.
There is no single supplement at this time for the polar bears. The house I rent out has 3 bedrooms, for 6 people and one bath. So everyone shares a room. The house comes equipped with a kitchen. There are some foods already stocked in the fridge and cabinets. You will fix your own meals, or you can walk down the street to one of the lodges and purchase a meal there. Please note, food is very expensive out in the remote village and the shop has limited groceries.
Our boat captain will take us along the sand bars early in the morning while the bears are still active. The polar bears are active in and around the water. Group play is common amongst the younger bears. Or we may cruise the "bone pile" where at any time, multiple bears may be feeding.
On occasion, if northern lights appear earlier in the evening, we can find someone to take us out, as we have to supervised. Polar bears do walk around at all times of the day and night.
This could be your view by boat.
PRICE $5,875.00 PER PERSON IN 2018
( DOUBLE OCCUPANCY)
Please note: There is no smoking allowed on the truck or boat during the bear viewing!
Please note, We reserve the right to decline your deposit if we feel you aren't able to meet the physical requirements of the trip!
Terms & Conditions About Wild Compass Tours
All lodging and breakfast
- Morning and afternoon viewing of the bears via boat/truck
- Lodging in Fairbanks 1 night and 4 nights Kaktovik
- Transportation around Kaktovik
We do suggest Travel Insurance
Price does not include
- Airfare to and from Fairbanks
- Airfare from Fairbanks to Barter Island/and back
- We will help you book your flight to/from Barter
- Meals in Fairbanks/and some in Barter
- Extra nights in Fairbanks
Terms & Conditions About Wild Compass Tours
Itinerary for the Polar Bear Adventure- 2017
Oct 1st- Oct 6th 2017
Itinerary for 2017
- Oct. 1st
- Land in Fairbanks, Alaska. You will be transported to your hotel to drop off your luggage. Depending on time of arrival, we will try to all meet up at dinner.
- Oct . 2nd
- Early morning p/u at hotel for a flight out of Fairbanks to Kaktovik. The plane is small and only seats 9. Upon landing, we will meet our guide and captain. We will be taken to the house we will be staying out and given a chance to settle in and explore the village. Later in the afternoon, we go out to view the polar bears.
- Oct 3rd
- Early morning wake up call for bear viewing on the boat. Head back to the house for lunch. Late afternoon viewing via boat again for 3+ hours. Back to the house for dinner.
- Early morning wake up call for bear viewing on the boat. Head back to the house for lunch.
Late afternoon viewing via boat or by land, depending on where the biggest concentration of bear are.
Then back to the house for dinner.
- Oct 5th
- Early morning wake up call for bear viewing on the boat or land. Head back to the house for lunch. Later afternoon viewing via boat or land again for 3+ hours. Back to the house for dinner.
- Oct 6th
- Early morning wake up call for bear viewing on the boat or land. Head back to the house for lunch. Pack up your gear and catch the afternoon flight back to Fairbanks. If you are staying the night of the 6th in Fairbanks, you will need to make your own reservations
- WE ONLY TAKE 4 PEOPLE!
Please note! If weather causes flights to be canceled out of Kaktovik, then you will be responsible for paying for your room that night. The rate is $225.00 per person, this does NOT include meals.
Please check your ego and your attitude at the gate before take off to tours. You can reclaim your baggage upon returning home, if you wish.